Thursday 18 July 2013

Messing around with linux

Over the past couple of weeks I haven't been doing much coding or art.
I've been immersing myself in the art of server maintenance.

I compiled my first custom Linux kernel (Gentoo), unfortunately it was a x86 kernel not a x86_64 and I needed sleep desperately. I got given a IBM eServer (346?) xSeries with dual Xeon 3.2ghz processors. So I've been playing around with that (currently its running Arch Linux).

I got more familiar with the use of bash scripting to start programs on linux servers. I followed a guide over here only used the system crontab because it lets me do things as different users :) I did this because bfgminer kept crashing within a screen session and killing the session it was in (not giving me any reason). This way: it crashes -> cron runs the script every 5 minutes -> the script checks if bfgminer is running -> if bfgminer isn't running restarts a new screen session and bfgminer inside it (success YAY).

EDIT:
Also for those running Ztex FPGA devices. YOU CAN RUN IT AT A NORMAL USERLEVEL!
You don't need to run everything as root (particularly if you are using bfgminer like me).
The information you need to know is here.

3 comments:

  1. Found your blog! Yay!
    All sounds interesting and mind boggling, best of luck with the project. I'm assuming this would form part of your idea for what you were talking about at uni during our chat at lunchtime on Thursday re availing extra storage space for Digi people?
    #annoyinganonymousperson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've got the IBM, and its not really doing anything. If JP and the other guys wanna hook me up with the other guys doing the IT, I'd be happy to administrate a unix box with some small amount of extra storage for you guys.
      Personally I don't need it (I have heaps of storage here).
      I'm willing to donate my equipment while I'm at ANU. If I had the bandwidth I'd host it here and personally give you guys accounts.

      Delete
    2. Cool. Yep, remember you mentioning the bandwidth issue.
      Was only curious. I've maxed out my quota at ANU, but have a few TB drives floating around. Which are, thankfully, getting cheaper by the month.

      Delete